I have entered something every year for the last 7 years, Race for Life for Cancer research UK, Marie Curie Walk 10K for nurses or the Colour Run. Its become common knowledge within the office where I work that every year at some point I will empty their pockets for sponsorship money and every year they have been very generous.
This year in February I decided to take on the biggest challenge of my life and enter 3 races for Cancer Research UK. The first was back in May, on the 17th I took on Sheffield's 5K at Meadowhall. I had previously done this race but at different locations and with Race for Life its not so much a race more a fun day out with a bit of running involved. I enjoyed the day and had my best friend and our boyfriends cheering me on, I completely smashed my previous time and finished in 29 minutes. The whole day was pleasantly well organised from the route to the Start/Finish area. There were plenty of supporters on route and with the local radio station being present a fun day was always going to be provided. The only negative to this race was provided by other runners unfortunately joining the start line at the wrong time. Race for life have a very good organised start setup, dividing up people who aim to run, jog or walk the route. However not everyone joined the correct place and as a runner I found myself having to dodge other people who were walking but had joined the front of the line with the runners.
The second race came in July, on the 19th I took on Rother Valley's 10K. This was the first 10K race I had ever entered however I had previously run the distance in training and felt confident. Again the race was well organised and the split between a 5K race also being held on the same day was well sign posted. We were to start along with the 5K runners and split on route to cover the extra distance and then rejoin back later on. I imagined that by the time I made it back to the rejoin the 5K entrants would have been finished or on their way back. This actually wasn't the case but was very pleased when the majority of people cheered us on and told us we were champions. However in my eyes everyone who enters is a champion no matter whether you walk, jog or run the entire route.
The biggest challenge for me came last weekend, the 04th October. The one day of 2015 ive spent months talking about, worrying about, training for and panicking over. It really couldn't have gone any better. On Sunday I took part in my first 1/2 Marathon, based at Waltham Abbey in London I had to travel down over the weekend to take part. I entered way back when in February and this was the day I had worked so hard for. Training had been grueling and I had a few set backs with my knee not being very supportive! But here I was heading to Waltham Abbey to take part, the day had come and to tell you all the truth I was a nervous wreck. I had done 11 mile in training but didn't feel anywhere near confident. The location was fantastic, the route providing some lovely views! HOWEVER, as a new reviewer and finding my feet honesty is the best policy. I'm aware that this was the first time Race for Life had ever held a race of this distance with a 1/2 and a full marathon being held at the same time. The warm up was unorganised, with the first group of marathon runners having to take part in the start chute with minimal room so they were certainly not warmed up. The half marathoners were waiting that long to join the start line we ended up taking part in two warm ups. But once the race got underway I settled comfortably into a pace and continued on, support was given every so often on route with water and food being provided by marshals. We were made aware previously via newsletters that there would be a hill at mile 5 and that they would make it the most fun hill we had ever had to run up and it would be a talking point for us. This turned out to be untrue with a single woman with a microphone stood at the top telling us she hoped there was a downhill, not very motivational Race for Life!. At mile 11 two people were allowed to join us on route as encouragement for 3/4 mile, this was well organised and was the best motivation of the day even if it did seem like they were there only for 2 minutes. Crossing the finish line was an emotional moment for me, the feeling of achievement was immense and I can safely say I was proud. I had completed my first 1/2 marathon in under 2 hours 40 minutes.
As with all Race for Life events, goody bags and medals were handed out at the finish line which is always nice when you have just run that kind of distance. The sponsors of the race provide the gifts and I must thank all of them for their kind gifts especially the Lindt Strawberry chocolate and the milkshake.
I have since read a few reviews online regarding the marathon runners, and from what I can assume their second lap of the route to complete the full marathon was a disappointing affair. Alot of supporters having left with those who had finished the half marathon and the marshals having given up waiting and not providing motivation or handing out water. I can only imagine how hard it must have seemed having only run the 1/2. I would however like to take this opportunity to congratulate every single person who took part in the 1/2 or full marathon on Sunday! We are all winners and we should all be very proud!
Race for Life I think as a half marathon runner you did a very good job and should be very proud of yourselves for hosting such an amazing half marathon! You could perhaps take into account the comments made via Facebook regarding the full marathon if you intend to hold another next year.
For photos of all 3 events please see - https://flic.kr/s/aHskmgkkxU
![]() |



No comments:
Post a Comment